[Danhi] My Volunteer Experience, 2012-10-23

Dave Allen Barker Jr dave at 1.0ne.org
Tue Oct 23 22:41:52 EDT 2012

Just wanted to share with you some of my experience volunteering this
morning.

I signed up to do AR testing
<http://www.9.0ne.org/w/Ms._Danhi_2012#vol_ar>, and this was my first
time.  I arrived 9:10a (after dropping my son of at pre-school), was in
the classroom a couple hours, ate lunch with my daughter and her
classmates in the cafeteria, and left around 11:40a.

Ms. Danhi hooked me up with an AR book, "Hi, Cat!"
<http://www.arbookfind.com/bookdetail.aspx?q=31673&l=EN&slid=317821754>
I read to the class, which was fun.  I did a bit of review at the end,
to let it sink in a little more.

I tested kids one at a time on the computer in the classroom, as the
library was being used when I got started.  Ms. Danhi told me I could
take three kids at a time down to the library, but I stayed in class
because I wasn't sure how to do three at a time, and I enjoyed being in
the classroom.

I chose the order of students randomly.  There's a stack of cards with
student login information, and I had students pick a card (the next
student) as the left (they enjoyed that).

I was mostly pleased with how well everyone did.  They were a bit rowdy
when I read and reviewed the story (as 5/6 year olds are :) ), but I was
pleasantly surprised to find most everyone did well on their test (they
were paying attention afterall! :) ).  The same tricky test question
tripped up quite a few.  Props to Ella & Julia for acing it.  I worry
about Michaeel not really trying.  I missed Javier because his login
information card was missing from the deck I was drawing from.  I didn't
see Arelis, Madelis, & Noelia, I'm told, because of their (lack of) English.

In the background, it seemed to me Ms. Danhi was often frustrated
working with this (young) age group.

As Audrey mentioned before, it really is a kick to be with each of the
kids and their unique personalities.  Big smile Celine, dancing Cristal,
Kirubel the jokester, Maya all hugs, Elliot the reader; just some the
personalities that will stick with me.

I put some pictures on our website
<http://www.9.0ne.org/w/Ms._Danhi_2012_photos>.  I was told Maya is the
only one without a media release (so she cannot be photographed).

I'll be volunteering again! :)