[Danhi] Reminder - Ms. Danhi's Valentine tea party this Thursday at 1pm; highlight in this email

Michelle Shevlin michelle.shevlin at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 12:44:19 EST 2013

Don't forget about Ms. Danhi's class valentine tea party this Thursday at 1pm. Please join if you can and don't forget to send your valentine in their best Mad Hatter Tea Party attire or wear a top hat or rabbit ears!  The kids have watched the Disney classic in class over the last few weeks, at least parts of it, so they should be familiar with the tea party.

We have some great snacks and crafts thanks to your contributions. We collected $50. The valentine party team of Rebecca DiGiuro (Sophia's mom), Audrey (Alex's mom), Jociellia Gandy (Celine's mom) and Michelle Shevlin (Ella's mom) get a lot of thanks for donations, snagging coupons combined with BOGO offers to maximize our funds and their time to purchase the crafts and make the yummy snacks.

Here is a highlight of our party:

Valentine exchange
The class will do the traditional handing out of cards to their classmates.  Don't forget.
Craft #1 - Make your own valentine
Alex's mom, Audrey, has donated materials and volunteered to manage a craft table.  The kids can make and create a valentine for someone they love.  Shhh, the surprise valentine might even be for you.  ;)
Craft #2 - Craft Stick Critters
Celine's mom, Jociellia, will manage our crazy critter creation.  During her pursuit of the elusive white rabbit, Alice is destined for some
curious encounters. Such is the case when she loses her way and the mome raths
spring up and circle her feet. Ultimately, these wide-eyed, shaggy-topped
creatures huddle together to form an arrow that points to the path Alice must
follow. With little more than a handful of craft sticks and craft feathers, we will round up a colorful collection of whimsical critters much
like the ones that reside in Tulgey Wood.

Game - The Red Queen's Mini Croquet Game
Ella's mom, Michelle, will help the kids play a game of croquet, kindergarten style. The Red Queen's favorite pastime is a good game of croquet. In her croquet court, the croquet balls are hedgehogs, mallets are flamingos, and playing  cards shuffle into place to serve as wickets. We will set up our own
game of mini croquet with printable flamingo mallets, wickets made out of pipe cleaner and pin pong balls.  I'm sure they will all be winners in this game.

Creative Tea Party and Valentine Snacks
Salty snack
We have a party snack mix and bugles.  Yummy.

Juice Box Suitors
Sophia's mom, Rebecca, has created a clever way to transform  an old deck of cards into juice box suitors. Remember that things really start rolling for Alice when she wanders into the Queen of Hearts'
court. The playing
cards shuffle into place to serve as wickets and Alice hurriedly helps paint the white roses, not blue, not green, not aquamarine...  Better paint the roses red or it's OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

Cheshire Cat Cupcakes
Of all the characters Alice meets up with during her adventures in Wonderland,
the Cheshire Cat is undoubtedly one of the most intriguing. This mischievous
feline has a habit of materializing at will, first in the Duchess's kitchen,
then on the branch of a tree, and later in the Queen's croquet court. Inspired
by the crafty cat that bemuses Alice, this cupcake is all grins — and likely to
disappear in the blink of an eye.  We bought enough for the kids to eat 1 in class and take home another to make at home.

Edible tea cups
It wouldn't be a tea party without proper afternoon tea.  There is no shortage of teacups at the Mad Hatter's unbirthday party. In
fact, the cups rotate around the table so quickly Alice never gets so much as a
sip of tea. Made from ice cream cones and cookies, these edible cup-and-saucer
treat holders will ensure that each guest at our tea party gets his or her fill of valentine treats such as conversation hearts, sweet tart hearts, M&Ms and Hershey hugs and kisses.

Thanks and see you at Ms. Danhi's Valentine Mad Hatter Tea Party!

Michelle, Rebecca, Audrey & Jociellia

PS.  Most of these Alice in Wonderland crafts and recipes can be found at http://family.go.com/.