[Durant] Math stars question

Greg Ratzel gratzel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 20:42:44 EDT 2013

Yes!  Laine also found the recent sheets pretty intimidating.  Rather than
see her give up, I tried a training wheels approach which seemed to work.
 I didn't help her with the arithmetic at all, but I did lead her along
with questions about how to set up the problems.  For instance, I said "try
drawing a picture" and (after whining pitifully) she drew a picture of the
8 cows or whatever and totalled up the numbers one cow at a time.  Then she
got the answer wrong (lol), but she got it right on the second try.
 Afterwards I explained she had just done multiplication -- mind blown!
 Still a bit of a slog.  Whole thing probably took two nights to finish.

- Greg Ratzel

ps.  Anyone tried that Math Mountain worksheet?  3 minutes for 80
problems!?  More like 3 days!  :-O