[Sagamore Volunteer] Space Day Meeting

Dave Allen Barker Jr dave at 1.0ne.org
Tue Jan 14 13:00:10 EST 2014

Ms. Martin invited me to today's Space Day meeting because now-gone
Space Day spearhead, Brian Gardiner, spoke to me about his ideas.  I
would have included the other two teachers attending today's meeting,
but do not know them yet.

Brian took some notes of Space Day ideas and resources on I wiki I set up.

  * STEM at Sagamore <http://www.9.0ne.org/w/STEM_at_Sagamore>
  * Sagamore Space Day <http://www.9.0ne.org/w/Sagamore_Space_Day>
  * NASA Exploration Design Challenge
    <http://www.9.0ne.org/w/NASA_Exploration_Design_Challenge>
  * Sagamore Space Day contacts
    <http://www.9.0ne.org/w/Sagamore_Space_Day_contacts>

I was personally interested in teaching the scale of the solar system.
Adjusted to grade level of course, but maybe doing a little Wikipedia
research, creating the simplest of spreadsheets in the computer lab to
find scaled measurements, and everyone outside to enjoy a spring day in
the field while we try to imagine the actual size of the solar system
and its bodies along the lines of:

  * (~5min) How Big is the Solar System? | PBS Digital Studios - YouTube
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mD-ia6ng0A&t=60>