[Sagamore Online] Shared PTA Google Account name

Dave Allen Barker Jr dave at 1.0ne.org
Mon Dec 9 20:21:24 EST 2013

So, David Klein is looking to help dump Andrea's Science Night resources
into the PTA Google Drive <http://www.9.0ne.org/w/Sagamore_Google_Drive>
(online storage), which would be the first real use of it.  I've come to
think it would be best for us to have a single account (username &
password) to be used by anyone contributing to (uploading/editing) the
PTA Google Drive.

So, *what should the username be?*  Examples:
admin at sagamorehillspta.org, sagamorehillspta at sagamorehillspta.org,
pta at sagamorehillspta.org, volunteer at sagamorehillspta.org,
individual at volunteer.sagamorehillspta.org, account at sagamorehillspta.org,
….  This will not be an email address even though it looks like one,
it's just an ID/username.

Some things I've been considering for this PTA-helper-wide Google Account:

  * Easy to remember and type
  * Sometimes you only see before the @-sign, so before the "@"
    shouldn't be too vague (eg. "user")
  * Makes sense to not just very active PTA folks, but others you might
    share it with to collaborate on a specific project
  * If it makes sense, we can use a subdomian.  For example, reserving
    "official" accounts to @sagamorehillspta.org (for example, email
    addresses like "president", "secretary", "fundraising",
    "communications", etc.) and using @volunteer.sagamorehillspta.org or
    @group.sagamorehillspta.org for these kind of things.

Background:  Originally I thought it'd be great to leverage groups.
Anyone with a Google Account (which many already have because of gmail,
android, youtube, etc.) could be assigned to a group, and the group is
assigned edit access to all PTA resources.  To work with PTA resources,
users log in with the personal Google Account they're already familiar
with.  I've explained the idea in a little more detail
<http://www.9.0ne.org/mw/index.php?title=Sagamore_Google_Drive&oldid=1900#Theory>
elsewhere.  This works well for resources like Google Sites (website)
and Calendar, but not so much for Google Drive.

We want the online Drive to be a repository for the PTA that lives
beyond individual volunteers, but when individuals upload things to the
PTA Google Drive, those items are actually owned/stored by the
individual and only shared to the PTA Drive. Should the person
intentionally or accidentally clean up their drive of old PTA items,
they may delete valuable resources currently in use by the PTA.  I've
tried to figure it a few different ways, and as much as a shared account
rubs me the wrong way, I think it's what we need to do to avoid that
situation (speak up if you figure different).

The group we're all a member of (currently
sagamorehillspta at sagamorehillspta.org
<http://www.9.0ne.org/mw/index.php?title=Sagamore_Hills_PTA_Google_account&oldid=1840#sagamorehillspta.40sagamorehillspta.org>,
but you wouldn't need to know) still has its uses and will stay.

Anywho, if you made it this far, you're not on the hook for anything.  I
just wanted to let ya'll know what's on my mind here and give you a
chance to chime in before you think, "Why did Dave choose /that/ for a
login‽"  David and I are going to see what we can hash out this
Wednesday while we carve out a space for Science Night on the Drive.

Thanks!