[Sagamore Online] A Better Way to Newsletter

Dave Allen Barker Jr dave at 1.0ne.org
Mon Sep 30 22:17:57 EDT 2013

/Unless you're interested in underlying tech, there's no need to follow
this discussion. We'll resurface when we have some ideas to share./

So you know how I've been thinking, and I shared
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_qBLMFixutrDI4Q-GAWrHXbqRi-n4pil4vUCNmybuiA>
with John lately, about how much communication effort goes into the
email newsletter, and that the effort (and assets) should go to the
website, to serve as reference for parents throughout the year and
future newsletters?  I think I found one way that might be done.

MailChimp <http://mailchimp.com/> (I don't know about Constant Contact)
allows email campaigns (correct me if that's not correct terminology) to
be generated from RSS feeds!  Set it to mail out weekly on a certain
day, and it checks a feed for new content, formatting it to your
choosing into something that looks like a newsletter.

  * How can I create an RSS-Driven Campaign? | MailChimp.com
    <http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/what-is-an-rss-to-email-campaign-and-how-to-i-set-one-up>
  * RSS to Email Tutorial | MailChimp Email Marketing Blog
    <http://blog.mailchimp.com/rss-to-email-tutorial/>
  * RSS to Email Merge Tag Cheatsheet | MailChimp.com
    <http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/rss-to-email-merge-tag-cheatsheet>

Keeping the website fresh becomes a newsletter necessity as newsletters
are assembled by simply tagging webpages.

Anyway, I just wanted to note the technique somewhere.