[Sagamore Online] Kindergarten Open House

Dave Allen Barker Jr dave at 1.0ne.org
Thu Dec 5 23:35:29 EST 2013

Websites are at:

  * www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/sagamore <http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/sagamore>
  * sagamorehillspta.org <http://sagamorehillspta.org/>

Thinking about a fine address for the open house specifically…

At the school website, I think John has the power to simply tack an
"/openhouse" on the end of the school website address.

The PTA website address for a open house page right now would tack on a
"/?page_id=999".  Not too pretty.

John, we could change the Wordpress configuration to use pretty urls
(like "../openhouse").  I think this necessarily converts all
pre-existing urls to the new format though, thus breaking existing
links.  I think we'd have to define old-to-new redirects ourselves in
.htaccess .  What do you think?

John, I've also been thinking about moving the existing PTA Wordpress
content into Google Sites (see test-google-sites.sagamorehillspta.org
<http://test-google-sites.sagamorehillspta.org/>), and this might be a
good excuse to make it happen.  Trick again is to not blow away those
old URLs (or do we?).  Google Sites does not seem to provide any
redirection facilities.  I've familiar with setting up a reverse proxy
in Apache (so we can proxy the new from Google Sites, but redirect the
old links), but we'd have to pay $15/m at Dreamhost to upgrade to a VPS
to make it happen (there).  I know that's pretty hardcore, so maybe we
just do it for a year then cut the old URLs loose?  What do you think?