[Sagamore Online] Kindergarten Open House

John R. Lenz john at lenzmarketing.com
Fri Dec 6 09:18:47 EST 2013

> John, we could change the Wordpress configuration to use pretty urls (like "../openhouse").  I think this necessarily converts all pre-existing urls to the new format though, thus breaking existing links.  I think we'd have to define old-to-new redirects ourselves in .htaccess .  What do you think?

You can always try with the .htaccess; not sure if the hosting plan allows custom ones or not. Here's what to put into it to get pretty urls; also may need to update the config within wordpress:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Options -Indexes

I don't think the old URLs will break; I think the wordpress engine will serve the page using the id as well as the rewritten url. But I could be wrong.

> John, I've also been thinking about moving the existing PTA Wordpress content into Google Sites (see test-google-sites.sagamorehillspta.org), and this might be a good excuse to make it happen.  Trick again is to not blow away those old URLs (or do we?).  Google Sites does not seem to provide any redirection facilities.  I've familiar with setting up a reverse proxy in Apache (so we can proxy the new from Google Sites, but redirect the old links), but we'd have to pay $15/m at Dreamhost to upgrade to a VPS to make it happen (there).  I know that's pretty hardcore, so maybe we just do it for a year then cut the old URLs loose?  What do you think?

If it's easier to add content to/administer vs. wordpress then go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about the old URLs.

-J