[Sagamore Online] Sagamore online goals 2014

Dave Allen Barker Jr dave at 1.0ne.org
Fri May 9 20:20:09 EDT 2014

Monica made a point on the "Reengage social media" (currently long term)
goal on the wiki
<http://www.9.0ne.org/mw/index.php?title=Sagamore_online_goals_2014&oldid=2130#Reengage_social_media>
(which I'm copying here for easier discussion):

    Major work needed here. Other schools push notifications and parent
    volunteer beat using existing social media channels. Push relevant
    content where people already are. Maybe less emphasis on web site
    (passive) and more on social presence (active) for parent engagement.

Right now it looks like our social media channels are fed by Constant
Contact campaigns (emails).

I was imagining message composition happening in our Wordpress website
instead of Constant Contact.  Those compositions can push out to social
channels through Wordpress just as they do now from Constant Contact,
but at least a couple advantages open up.

  * Nobody wants to update a website; it feels like extra work on top of
    Wildcat Newsletter type communications.  When those communications
    are generated on the website (instead of Constant Contact), you get
    a good chunk of website update work for free.
  * All the words, attachements (PDFs), and images in our email/social
    messages stay availible on our site, where they can be searched and
    linked, building a refrencable body of school knowledge.

I'm not saying we shouldn't work on social media first (before a
website) (information pushed to eyeballs (social) will be seen more than
information ready to be found (website), right?), I'm just explaining
why I originally put social later on the goals list
<http://www.9.0ne.org/w/Sagamore_online_goals_2014> (but again, that
doesn't mean it should be!).

/How/ do we place more emphasis on social presence?

(And thanks, Monica, for using the wiki! ☺)