[Sagamore Online] Changes made to PTA website

Dave Allen Barker Jr dave at 1.0ne.org
Fri Sep 12 00:52:50 EDT 2014

The Sagamore Hills Elementary School PTA website (
http://sagamorehillspta.org/ ) now:

  * Looks different because it's now using the latest Wordpress default
    theme, Twenty Fourteen
    <https://wordpress.org/themes/twentyfourteen>, instead of
    zeeSynergie <https://wordpress.org/themes/zeesynergie>
  * Looks the same because no content has been changed yet
  * Looks bad because the theme (look) is not yet customized (except for
    a header image)
  * Is more usable on different screen sizes because of the new theme's
    "responsive design"
  * Links to the latest discussions
    <https://groups.google.com/a/groups.sagamorehillspta.org/d/forumsearch/>
    instead of (unused) blog posts
  * Uses the single user "sagamorehillspta" instead of "admin"
  * Is free from old cruft (plugins, themes, revisions)
  * Is de-Vera-Kornylak-ified—using the user "sagamorehillspta"
    everywhere (shell, database) at Dreamhost
    <http://www.9.0ne.org/w/Sagamore_Hills_PTA_Dreamhost_account>

The old version will be available at http://old.sagamorehillspta.org/
for a time.

All links should still work; if not tell me.  I'll also be monitoring
for "page not found"s and putting in redirects if necessary.

Some things I'll be addressing first:

  * Fix simple problems with existing content (broken links/images)
  * Make sure pages have cute URLs
  * Update the site with requests I've put off until this change was
    finished (STEM)
  * Update documentation <http://www.9.0ne.org/w/Sagamore_Hills_PTA_website>
  * Deleting old media files (and making sure good ones are somewhere on
    the PTA Google Drive (I think I've already done that part))
  * Finding big images for each page's "featured image"

Of course, the whole site needs a lot of love and attention, and I (and
others!) will be doing that more too now that I'm more confident in the
Wordpress foundation it's built upon.

Please don't delete pages (or if you do, don't delete them from the
Trash).  As we reorganize the site, old pages should instead be updated
or point to new pages.

Oh, and if anyone can think of a geek who would like to do this kind of
stuff for our school (the backend stuff (the content everyone will be
doing soon! 😉)), please send them my way—I'd really like to spread this
specialized knowledge around.