[Sagamore Online] Wildcat archive

Dave Allen Barker Jr dave at 1.0ne.org
Thu Apr 24 09:34:57 EDT 2014

I think everyone agrees(?) that self-serve information options are
missing from Sagamore communication efforts.  I think use of Constant
Contact encourages that deficiency.  I haven't felt comfortable pushing
communication alternatives (though I have been thinking about them)
because: I wouldn't actually be using them, haven't really talked about
such change with those who do generate communications, and am not sure
how much interest there is (the must be a certain level of interest to
persevere through the unavoidable pains of change).

I added the Constant Contact credentials to the password file in the
Google Drive
<https://docs.google.com/a/sagamorehillspta.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap-Bq29kKNGGdEtUb01xdFdxb2FEQ0JrbzBIal8xX2c&usp=sharing>
so you can see what's there.  All past emails (716 back to 2008-03) and
the library of images and files they link to (493) are available.  I saw
no way to easily get all that data out
<http://support2.constantcontact.com/articles/FAQ/3477> though; although
we won't want all of it, it sure would be easier to curate locally than
pointy-clicky all the individual resources.

What you've described (e.g. make newsletters searchable) is why I'd
really like a website to be the source of all communications, with
emails and such just being pointers to, or copies of, information on a
website.

Trick is, I haven't found a "super easy" way to make that happen.  It
can be done, but possibilities I've explored (so far: Wordpress,
Constant Contact, Google (Sites and Drive)) are not seamless (or do not
meet all requirements).  I can go into the pros/cons I've found with
those who care (I'd love some help!).

So, I don't know, David, but I'm really glad you're interested in this.
Right now, I kind of paused on replacing what we have at
http://sagamorehillspta.org/ with what's at
http://test-google-sites.sagamorehillspta.org/ because I'd like to hear
more from John Lenz as to where he'd like to put his effort since the
change at http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/sagamore .  I'm thinking of
pulling the trigger on the PTA site change anyway since that site is
seeing no action now (nobody cares), and maybe what we're doing there
will get folks more interested.

Okay, now I'm just babbling.

What does leadership (PTA presidents/communications/ etc) think?